Can you use a sling on a wooden recurve?

Discussion in 'All Things Archery' started by PSEFANBOY, Jun 13, 2017.

1. PSEFANBOY

PSEFANBOY Member

My PSE X-Appeal riser has a great place to hang a bow sling, but I hardly ever see recurve shooters outside of the pros using them. I'm thinking about getting a more traditional recurve, maybe a Samick Sage, but I don't want to drop it. Where do you hang a sling on a wooden riser?

2. 60X

60X New Member

I've wondered about this too. After shooting competitively for a year straight, I took a shot with a guys recurve and I lost it on the release. I thought I'd grab it subconsciously but didn't. It was embarrassing. I'm thinking maybe you just have to hold it?

3. clefmeister

clefmeister Member

With wooden recurves, at least, I think most archers tend to use a more solid grip than they would with an aluminum riser recurve or a compound. I've never seen anybody attach a sling to a wooden riser before. It could be done, sure, if you had a hole drilled in your riser. But that's just silly. Remember, a wooden riser is going to absorb a lot more of the vibration of your grip than a metal riser would. It's more forgiving, so yeah...just hold it.