Food Plots

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by The Woodsman, May 21, 2017.

1. The Woodsman

The Woodsman New Member

Anyone gettin them in? Whats the best time to plant and what is the best food plot to use?

2. clefmeister

clefmeister Member

It really depends on where you're planting. Some areas get s lot of spring flooding, so it's better to drop a frost plot or a summer plant. The site actually has a good breakdown of planting food plots. Check it out!

3. 12 Ringer

12 Ringer Member

I've had pretty good luck with Antler King No Sweat/No Till seed mix. I usually plant in early to late June. It's not too hot, but we're past the frost and the floods 'round these parts.

4. PSEFANBOY

PSEFANBOY Member

I use Cabela's Sugar Beet blend. Works like a charm! Plant it in the spring, and it's ready for fall.

5. 2BladeRage

2BladeRage Member

Anybody have any luck with Hancock Seed Company's stuff, like their dwarf corn seed? The price is right...

6. clefmeister

clefmeister Member

Can't say that I have, but I'll say that it depends on what the weather and soil is like. Look at what the local farmers are planting. If they grow corn (and have deer problems), you can go with dwarf corn seed. Around here, the wildlife seems to prefer sugar beets over corn, though. Remember that deer are attracted to sweet vegetables, but they also need their protein. That Cabela's Sugar Beet blend PSEFanboy uses has extra protein in it, so it might be a better bet for you.

7. A A Ron

A A Ron Member

Scratch the name brands and go to your local farm supply store. Much cheaper.

8. Squirrel

Squirrel Member

If you can't get a plot in, just whack existing weeds low before the season. The deer will come to browse the new chutes that will grow.