How long can I keep my crossbow cocked?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 2BladeRage, Jun 18, 2017.

1. 2BladeRage

2BladeRage Member

Title says it all. If I want to be safe, and prevent my limbs from cracking or the string from stretching, how long can I keep my crossbow cocked while I'm out hunting?

2. KShep76

KShep76 Member

Generally it's okay to keep it cocked while hunting. Once your hunts over uncock it. Typically most hunts are around 4 hrs or less but sometimes we sit all day. If you're overly concerned with your particular crossbow, get ahold of your manufacturer.

Regardless of how long it's cocked, take practice shots between hunts to make sure everything is still dialed in. Any stretching/creeping of strings and cables will affect the xbows specs and therefore the FPS. when the FPS is affected your sights will be off.

Good luck!!!!

3. clefmeister

clefmeister Member

All day long, my friend. The limbs on a crossbow, as well as the string, are designed to take a lot of long-term waiting. As long as you don't dry-fire your crossbow (shoot it without an arrow), it'll be fine.

On that topic, when you're done for the day, I recommend using a decocking arrow to unload your crossbow. There are other methods, but that's the safest. Never, ever, ever transport your crossbow in your truck cocked and loaded; carry your decocking arrow with you and use it to unload your weapon at the end of the day.

4. 2BladeRage

2BladeRage Member

Thanks, clefmeister! Yeah, I picked up a decocking arrow. I watched that video you posted where the guy decocked his crossbow using the rope, and that just doesn't seem safe to me.