Just getting started

Discussion in 'All Things Archery' started by Nick Anderson, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Nick Anderson

Nick Anderson Member

So, I just recently bought a compound bow, and have it set to 50#. I'm wondering what's the best way for me to build up my endurance, muscle strength, muscle memory, etc. Should I be shooting at least a certain number of shots each day, or should I wait a day or two between sessions? Any help would be great!

2. 2BladeRage

2BladeRage Member

When I was first starting out, I'd play it by ear. Listen to my body. I'd shoot until I felt muscle fatigue just barely starting to creep in. The next day, if my upper body muscles felt okay, I'd shoot some more.

What you don't want to do is shoot when you're feeling sore or your muscles feel slow and fatigued. What ends up happening when you do shoot under those circumstances is you instinctively come up with ways to bypass the pain, tiredness, or sluggishness. Those workarounds get built into your muscle memory, leading to bad form and technique.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2017
  3. DOESLAYER

DOESLAYER New Member

Shoot every other day at the start. Protein shakes will help to build your muscles. Weight training is an option also. Try doing lawn mowers or isolated upright dumbbell rows. They mimic the exact same action as drawing. Tear muscle down with weight training or shooting but let it heal at least a day before doing it again. Injuries happen when we are already weakened and we stress the weakened area before its rebuilt and strengthened.

4. deadeyedick

deadeyedick New Member

Accubow or a homemade contraption using exercise bands would work.

5. Corey Haas

Corey Haas Administrator Staff Member

One armed dumbbell rows. I bring them up closer to my shoulder to simulate drawing a bow.